Housing Development Alliance

Friday, August 7, 2009

 

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello.

Unfortunately, the time has come for me to leave the Housing Development Alliance. School starts again in a few weeks, and I need to get ready. Charlotte will also be leaving to teach at a new school. This has been a somber week for us, hasn't it? First Kelly, now us.

I would just like to say that this has been an amazing experience for me. Being the Volunteer Coordinator's Assistant has honestly been a summer job I could have only dreamed of. I have met many amazing people, explored new Kentucky territory, learned about construction and public relations. Most of all, however, working for the Housing Development Alliance has made me more optimistic about my home. Before this job, I was a complainer and extremely skeptical of Hazard. I ignored all the flourishing aspects of the community, and focused on the wreckage. I now notice the smiles that surround me, and the friendly gestures granted to me day-in and day-out. I now appreciate the beauty of Appalachia, despite its faults.

"I want to thank everyone."-the typical response of a celebrity who has just won an award, and which sounds so cheesy at the time, but actually has some truth in it. I really do want to thank everyone. From my friendly (and often forgiving) co-workers who taught me the ropes of office work, to the enthusiastic carpenters who taught me "man's work". The homeowners taught me compassion, while the volunteers taught me patience. And responsiblity. Every week, the latest volunteer group leader tells me "We've learned so much!" Just as often, a teary-eyed homeowner would gently hold my hand and say, "You have no idea how much this means to me." The truth is, I have learned more from them, and they have meant more to me. I am a better person because of the people I have met, and the loving mission they strived for. I wish the best of luck to each one of 'em, and I can only hope that they will do the same for me.

Except the Alliance's GM Van. That demon-possessed vehicle can kiss my you-know-what.

Gratefully yours, John Rasche.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

October 2008   June 2009   July 2009   August 2009   April 2010   June 2010   July 2010   August 2010   October 2010   November 2010   December 2010   January 2011   February 2011   March 2011   April 2011   May 2011   June 2011   August 2011   September 2011   March 2014  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]